Seperate Windows installation on new m.2 SSD drive not bootable.

S

Snake57

Hello everyone,

I've been struggling to find a solution to this for hours on end now so I'm hoping someone can help out

Just yesterday I upgraded to a new m.2 SSD and want to use it as my system drive.

So I loaded up a USB stick up with a Windows image with the help of the media creation tool and installed a fresh Windows version of windows on the new m.2.

The issue is that if I try to select it as the first boot option in bios it simply won't boot; "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

If I choose my old "regular" SSD with the old version of Windows as the primary boot option it launches a dual boot menu where I can choose which version I want to run, both Windows installations work fine.

So after some Google-fu i've come to the conclusion that the new drive is missing the "WindowsBootManager", cool... I therefore boot into the command prompt via my recovery USB stick and attempt to create a bootsector on the m.2 by using "bcdboot c:\Windows /s h: /f EFI" or "bcdboot c:\Windows /s h: /f ALL" which at some point throws me the error "Failure when attempting to copy boot files."

A little research later the issue seems to be that the partition isn't marked as "Active" so I go into DISKPART, choose the appropriate disk and partition and try to mark it as "active", which spits out the error:

"The selected disk is not a fixed MBR disk.

The ACTIVE command can only be used on fixed MBR disks."

So after yet another round of research i mostly understand the differences between GPT and MBR, but from what I can tell it's not possible to convert from GPT -> MBR through the Windows utility without formatting the entire disk (which is what I'm desperately trying to avoid).

I've managed to grab a program which is supposedly able to do this without any data loss but on my "regular" SSD the option for the conversion is greyed out for my "regular" SSD and my new m.2, it's available for my third SSD and my harddrive though.

From what I gather that is because there are too many recovery partitions on the disks?

SO, before this post gets any longer and before I start deleting recovery partitions (there are 5 on my "regular" SSD) and since Microsoft support couldn't do much more than point me here I figured I'd plead for help.

In short - Is there any possible way to make my new m.2 "bootable" without having to format it?

All I want to do is make the m.2 my new main boot drive and format the old "regular" SSD afterwards.

I'd really appreciate any help!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom