Windows 10 Failed Update - Wont Boot (Looping), No Safe Mode, No Recovery Mode

B

Brett Shinn

Hi,

I installed, or tried to, a Windows update last night, and the update failed. Now windows wont boot, at all. It will show the windows icon, then loop around. The loop is maybe 1.5 seconds long, if that, and it doesn't make it past the original boot screen.

It wont enter recovery mode, I'm unable to boot into safe mode, I can't seem to get to the Bios menu - nothing. Previously, in a failed update, I could roll things back. All the help I've looked into has the assumption that I can at least get into Windows and access menus, but I can't.

A few things: I generally run windows through a Virtual Machine in Parallels Desktop 16.0.1 (48919) on a Mac (OSx Catalina 10.15.17) installed in Bootcamp. The problem persists whether I try to boot in parallels or directly into windows. I'm wary of assigning the default boot to Windows because I don't want to get stuck in a loop where I can't get back to Mac.

What's the course here? Do I do a USB assisted boot? Will that even work in my circumstance. I really, really don't want to do a fresh install because I'm traveling and it's really difficult to get all my company's software sorted.

This is a long, long shot: But, I can access my C drive from my mac side. Is there a corrupt boot file or update file I can remove or replace to get things going?

I do have my files backed up, but I really, really don't want to do the golden fresh install.

Thanks,

Brett

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom