Activating Windows 10 (upgraded from Win 8) on a new laptop

M

Mimi292

Hi,

I can't activate a retail copy of Win 10 Home Single Language on a new laptop.

My old device's CMD lists the Win 10 copy as 'Retail channel', bought in a reputable store where I purchased my old laptop, and it was upgraded from Win 8 for free in 2016. I have deactivated/uninstalled the license on the old laptop through the CMD (uninstall was confirmed as successful) before proceeding with the Win installation on the new one. I used a USB created by the Media Creation Tool, the Windows edition is matching (Single Language). I did not get any errors when I entered the activation key during the installation itself, it just continued to the next screen.

However, now when I get to the activation part of the Settings, it says that my account is not activated and it refuses to accept the key in the 'change/update key' as well as through the CMD. The error I keep getting is 0x803FA067, together with the information that the product key matching the product ID I entered cannot be used on the new device.

I've tried the troubleshooter, it does not recognize the new device even when I select the 'changed hardware' option, only my old laptop (and that one is listed as deactivated even when I reactivate it on that one). I am logged into my Microsoft account and both the old device and the new one are listed there, but I do not see the option to transfer the license.

I have done a clean reinstall as well, it did not help. It is also worth mentioning that the digital license key works fine on the old laptop - I can activate and deactivate Windows without any problems...

Does this mean that even though I had a retail copy of Win 8, it became non-transferable once I'd upgraded it to Win 10?

I'm listing my system info (new device) here:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-HF46TR8
System Manufacturer HP
System Model HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec1xxx
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 1S0W7EA#BED
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics, 2900 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date AMI F.11, 22/07/2020
SMBIOS Version 3.2
Embedded Controller Version 31.20
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 87B3
BaseBoard Version 31.20
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.488"
Username DESKTOP-HF46TR8\green
Time Zone Central Europe Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.4 GB
Available Physical Memory 10.6 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.2 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11.4 GB
Page File Space 2.88 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and the device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom