Can I install Windows 10 to a separate partition from WITHIN Windows 7/8 desktop?

A

alxjm69

As the subject states..

Is it possible to install Windows 10 to a different/separate partition from within Windows 7/8/Vista (desktop) itself?

I am multi-booting and have done it before on a HDD as follows:

d24f7d5d-47ff-4db9-9fa4-30e606451890?upload=true.png

1 Drive

7 Partitions

(C:) Partition 0 = (Primary) Active & System (NO OS) Just Boot/BCD/NTLR files

(D:) Partition 1 = (Logical) Windows XP - Bootable

(E:) Partition 2 = (Logical) Windows Vista - Bootable

(F:) Partition 3 = (Logical) Windows 7 - Bootable

(G:) Partition 4 = (Logical) Windows 8 - Bootable

(H:) Partition 5 = (Logical) Windows 10 x86 - Bootable

(I:) Partition 6 = (Logical) Windows 10 x64 - Bootable

Bought a new SSD so decided to do a clean install of ALL aforementioned OS's, BUT NOW, Windows 8 & 10 won't let me do a custom install from a previous version of windows desktop. I now have to boot from windows 8/10 media and I wind up with Windows 8/10 being the C: drive, which I don't want. I want to keep the letter assignments I had before on my hard drive. Has the new Media Creation Tool changed something? I was able to do this in the past extremely easy. I would install XP, then insert Media for Windows Vista and custom install, once Vista was installed, I would then pop in the media for Windows 7 and custom install and so on and so forth. Now I can't seem to do that.

Why has this changed? Why can't I do the custom install from within Windows Desktop itself anymore?

Been at this for weeks and tried everything I can think of,.. also tried a copy of my Windows 8/10 partition (old drive) with drive letters assignments matching and they WON'T boot. Constant windows wheel spinning and also looked into their registries (loading hives) and they show correct letter assignments.

I've even gone into the command prompt from the boot install and used Diskpart to assign letters, and still once installed, I check Windows 10 drive letter assignments and it shows up as C: when I've custom installed it to drive (H:)!! Grrr. Frustrating!

Any help or answers would be greatly appreciated and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom