Task Scheduler behaving badly. But, for only 1 of 4 users on the machine

N

( Nick )

This is way weird and I'd really appreciate some advice on what I might do to fix the issue.

I only use the Task Scheduler every few months if not less often.

I have a number of tasks that I created quite a long time ago that run perfectly at the scheduled time.

Never have any issue.

This morning, I signed into my laptop with my Microsoft user ID (an administrator) like I do every morning.

I wanted to make a change to one of the scheduled tasks that been running for a year or more.

So, I started the Task Scheduler.

All looked good.

I selected the task that I wanted to change and I chose to export it to my desktop. (I like to do that before making any changes to a task.)

It "looked" like it was going to export just fine but then the Task Scheduler "froze".

And I needed to kill it via Task Manager.

I tried several other things like, deleting a task, adding a new task or modifying an existing tasks.

Each time, after going through what looked to me to be proper dialogs, Task Scheduler froze.

And I had it kill it with Task Manager.

It's important to note that the list of items that appear in the Task Scheduler is complete and they continue run without interruption.

I just can't seem to "do" anything via the Task Scheduler.

I tried ....

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

sfc/scannow

ChkDsk C: /f /r /x

No errors reported

I have two(2) local Administrator accounts.

I signed on as each of them and Task Scheduler worked perfectly

I then created a new local account and made it an Administrator.

And when signed in with this new Admin account the Task Scheduler works perfectly.

So, it appears as if the issue may not be with the Task Scheduler program itself.

I wonder if my user ID (a microsoft account) no longer has write or delete permissions. (I'm really reaching here.)

My environment:

HP ENVY notebook

16 Gb memory
1 Tb SSD

Win 10 Home edition Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.685)

Thanks for all consideration of my issue

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom