Modern Standby - Understanding the new Behavior

R

RyanL13

I recently purchased a new HP Envy X360 15 inch (2020) with the 11th gen Intel CPU and have been having all kinds of trouble dealing with the Modern Standby functionality. I have been using laptops for years and I have always been able to click sleep from the start menu and the laptop would power down. I could then put it in a backpack or leave it sitting on a soft surface until I needed it again. The new HP has the Modern Standby feature and after telling the computer to sleep, the computer remains active. I noticed this after I told the computer to sleep, set it down on a soft surface and all of a sudden, I heard the fans ramp up to max because the computer was overheating. I had another overheating issue when I told the computer to go to sleep and put it into a backpack.

This is not a criticism of Microsoft and Modern Standby nor is this asking how to disable it. A simple search turns up tons of those discussions. I want to understand how Modern Standby works with a few typical use cases so I can best deal with it. I don't see this feature going away any time soon and eventually my corporate laptop is going to be replaced with a device with this functionality and I will be forced to deal with it.

Below are a few scenarios, any guidance on what to do with the computer is much appreciated

Scenario 1

I am in a meeting with the laptop on battery power, the meeting ends and I need to put the laptop into a carrying bag/backpack to go to my next meeting.

Scenario 2

I am sitting at home with the computer on battery power and I am done using my computer for a while and set it on a soft surface that could block the cooling vents. I may want to use the computer again in a while.

Scenario 3

I am sitting at home with the computer on *AC* power and I am done using my computer for a while and set it on a soft surface that could block the cooling vents. I may want to use the computer again in a while.

Not exactly sure if power source makes a difference.

Scenario 4

I have my computer on AC power and it is sitting on a hard surface that won't block the vents. I am done using the computer for the day but will need to use it again tomorrow.

In all of the above scenarios I would previously have put the computer to sleep to reduce power useage and allow me to pick up where I left off.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom