"The directory name is invalid" error popping up sometimes with some files in some libraries (and ONLY in libraries)

C

Ciel R

So as the title suggests, I've been encountering a strange problem. Recently I started using Libraries more to make navigation easier. I had a couple set up, but I created several more. However, when I open a library, SOME files (but not all) in SOME libraries refuse to open when accessed via the library. I get an error dialog window showing the full path of the file, with "The directory name is invalid." below that.

Important to note that this is ONLY when accessing files via libraries; if I open a new window and manually navigate to the "actual" file location, it opens just fine.

In addition, when viewing one of these problematic files in a Library, if I hit Enter or right click > Open, I get the error. But if I right click > "open with", and then select the program that would normally be used to open that type of file (e.g. IrfanView for a .png image file), it opens just fine.

And finally, the problem will also just go away after a while. I just tested this again and got it to happen again: the very same file which - when accessed via a Library specifically - would always throw the error dialog at me when I hit Enter on it, will now just open like normal as if nothing was ever wrong. About ten minutes have gone by since I first began trying to open that particular file as a test while writing this post, and now I cannot get the error dialog to reappear again on ANY file in ANY library. Based on my experience of the last few days, the problem will return the next time I restart my PC; after each restart, the problem seems to sometimes persist only for a little while, or for a long while, randomly.

The disk error checker (the one accessed via right click on the drive in question > Properties > Tools > Error Checking) found no errors on the SSD these file are all located on.

If anyone has any ideas as to the cause or a solution to this, its appreciated!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom