Slow/unresponsive explorer search bar/save as (and maybe some other stuff).

R

Rand_1

A few months ago I started having an annoying problem with Windows 10. Usually when I click in the Explorer search bar it will take about 10 seconds to register the click and respond by opening the history panel and creating a cursor there. Until then, it does literally nothing visible.

Once It opens, it will be good for a long while, responding immediately, but will revert to the 10 second unresponsiveness after a while.

This seems to be related to an issue I've seen when I select "save as", which I most notice when using windows apps like paint, although it can happen in others. I will click and again no response will occur for a few seconds, then the blue rotating circle cursor will appear and run for a few seconds until the dialog box appears. Once it's done once, it will be good and instantly responsive for awhile, too, but will revert at some point like search does.

I have also occasionally noticed that when I open explorer, especially through one of the smaller open or save dialog boxes, that sometimes all my drives do not list under "This PC" unless I forcibly refresh the panel somehow.

This all seems related and I don't know what's causing it. I have tried all the various suggestions Googling the problem (which only I seem to have in this presentation) recommends, and nothing seems to be able to fix it.

I would prefer not to reinstall windows if I don't have to.

Continue reading...