Previously used USB removable media works, but Newly seen USB removable media are not recognized after Win10 updates applied

H

HelpForBobS

We are using Win10 IoT Enterprises 2019 LTSC (1809).

With January 2020 patches applied to my base image, I can read basically any USB flash drive (previously seen OR newly inserted for the first time).

Upon updating to the October 2020 cumulative update, many of the USB device drivers were updated. Now, when previously seen USB flash drives are inserted, they are recognized and can be used. However, if a previously unseen USB flash drive is inserted, Device Manager reports the device in the "Other devices" component group with an attention icon. Opening up properties page indicates "This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)". The problem status (on the Details page) indicates "The device is pending further configuration. C0000495".

The Registry reports the following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}\0014]
"DriverDesc"="Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"
"ProviderName"="Microsoft"
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,80,8c,a3,c5,94,c6,01
"DriverDate"="6-21-2006"
"DriverVersion"="10.0.17763.1554"
"InfPath"="usb.inf"
"InfSection"="BADDEVICE.Dev.NT"
"MatchingDeviceId"="USB\\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE"

Applying the December 2020 cumulative update didn't resolve the issue either.

I've tried all of the recommended hints related to power settings, but so far nothing has helped. I'm applying these updates to products in the field, so whatever fix we come up with, I'll need to find a way to apply it using a script.

Any help would be most appreciated as I've been working on this for a week with no success thus far!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom