Problems with Windows 10 Bluetooth Headphones / Distorted Audio using Advanced Test

B

bimmerdriver

I use hearing aids which connect to my HP laptop using a bluetooth device that provides a hands-free headset (input/output) device and a stereo headphones device. (The laptop has an Intel 8265 dual-band wireless-ac wifi / bluetooth interface.) I've been using this device for a couple of years without any issues. When I initially connect the device, I use the Headphones Properties Advanced tab to test that it's connected properly. When it's connected properly, I can hear a short test tone with three descending notes followed by three ascending notes. (I hope that description is clear. I'm not a musician.)

Several months ago, the IT department upgraded the laptop from Windows 10 version 1803 to 1903. Immediately after the upgrade, the test tone was distorted. The first three notes are fine, but the second three notes were compressed together. Strangely, this does not always happen. If I press the test 20 times in a row, it might sound properly once or twice. When this initially happened, I updated the drivers to the latest version, but it made no difference. I also cleared the pairing and repaired the device. That also made no difference.

A few months later, the IT department upgraded the laptop from Windows 10 version 1903 to 1909. I was hoping this would fix the problem but it didn't. I also upgraded the device drivers to the latest versions, but that also made no difference.

Another possibly related behaviour is that Windows often overrides the volume that I set for the two devices. I set both to 100% and then I modulate the volume using the device. Windows leaves the settings alone for a while, then something causes it to reduce the volume. This is very annoying.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced these issues and if there are any fixes or work-arounds.

Note to Microsoft: The windows control panel worked great for years. It was very straightforward to locate device settings. Whomever in Microsoft decided to tear the control panel into pieces and randomly scatter the settings all over the place should be fired. Microsoft makes a lot of stupid design decisions, but breaking up the control panel is one for the ages.

Continue reading...