My old PC was damaged and it's giving me a hard time when installing Windows on a new computer.

J

JulianDominguez1

So the only parts I could retrieve from my old device was my power supply and my two SSDs. I should have formatted them before putting them in the new PC I built (I have a new M.2 drive which will serve as my boot up), but I discovered a new problem: I can't install my Windows 10 Pro on this new PC.

My copy of Windows 10 was a free upgrade when Microsoft was offering it in 2015 (I believe) and I seem to be having a mighty hard time finding anything to prove that. I can't find a product key in my email address, but I don't think I'd have once since mine was the free upgrade? And the Windows from my old SSD that booted up on my new PC (since I didn't format properly) says my Windows 10 is no longer activated, cannot activate because it doesn't recognize the new hardware (understood) but I can't access the original hardware since it doesn't work anymore.

Do I have any options here, or will I be forced to buy a new copy of Windows 10?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom