Music and videos folders replaced by empty ones after restart

P

Phippey

What I did before: I installed iTunes and iCloud, the latter needed the PC to restart, so I did. The PC restarted, and the lock screen appeared. However, I couldn't type or click anything, both my keyboard and mouse seemed to not be recognized at all. I pressed and held the power button to restart the PC once again. This time, I got a black background with white text at the bottom saying it was repairing my D drive (where I have my music and videos folder stored on). It looked like this if I remember correctly: Image

After it had completed doing this, I could log into my account. That's when I saw that there weren't any videos in my videos folder, it was totally empty. Same with my music folder. Everything else seems to have been left unchanged. So what happened here? Is there a way to recover or maybe even just find the files?

What's odd (but also give me some hope) is that there is still as much space left on my D drive as before this incident. At least that's what it shows for the D drive under "This PC":

5c20f048-e940-429a-bf61-c2e3ffeb652d?upload=true.png

My videos and music combined were around 1-1.5 TB in size for reference.

As for recovery tools: Recuva wasn't able to find anything. DiskDrill predicts to take like 20 hours for a scan (haven't completed a full scan), but seems to find at least some files. PhotoRec also takes very long and is restoring files, but without their original names.

It looks to me like the files aren't quite deleted yet, but somehow hidden where I can't access them (is there a difference then....?). So it there maybe a simple solution to get my files/folders back?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom