Random BSOD when using dual RAM sticks on HP Laptop Windows 10. Individual sticks works fine.

R

Rivado Shido

Laptop Spec:

HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 14-cd0xxx

• OS: Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit Version: 19042.685

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz

• GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX130 and Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

• RAM (original): Single Channel: SAMSUNG 8 GB DDR4-2400 (1200 MHz) -- original RAM from HP

• RAM (current): Dual channel:

• - Slot1: SAMSUNG 8 GB DDR4-2400 (1200 MHz) -- original RAM from HP

• - Slot2: SAMSUNG 8 GB DDR4-2400 (1200 MHz) -- new RAM i just bought

*Both RAM are very similar (hopefully) but the differences is the original RAM have green board the other is black.

This is the drive link where I put minidumps, CPU-Z screenshots, and MemTest86 logs

What happened:

1. I decided to install new RAM to the empty slot to improve the performance. I tried to find a RAM with same spec and manufacturer as the original RAM and put it to the empty slot carefully.

2. The BSOD occurred randomly. Whether in high CPU and memory usage while gaming or working in large projects, to small usage such as Ms. Word or just browsing the internet or even when idle. The reasons are random, from common Memory Management to IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA (dxgmm2.sys) and even ntoskernl wrong symbol just like described in this thread and others I can't recall. Those BSOD are new for me, even new in my decades using windows. It never happened once in this laptop. It happened from once to around three per one day AFTER installing new RAM.

What I've tried:

1. Updating BIOS (Insyde) to F3.4 (2019) (latest according to HP support app)

2. Windows Memory Diagnostic(s) (I don't know if these were failed or successful, I can't see the result on Event Viewer. Every time it hit 100%, it boots by itself in just a second (no notifications whatsoever)

3. MemTest86 each stick individually even two sticks at once. No error on the results from all 4 passes. The results are also posted on attached drive links.

4. Run each stick individually for a day as a title said. It works fine with each one of sticks in each one of the slots (2 slot). No single BSOD in a day.

5. Changed the minimum processor state in power options to 50%, still BSOD. Currently setting it to 70% and i will edit this post if something happened.

What I haven't tried and why:

1. Stress test the drivers (forget what it was called) but since it have risk of a bricked laptop, currently can't do it in near days, possibly in few days in the future where there is more free time.

2. Running the laptop with original RAM and another new RAM other than I just described. (I currently can't afford or borrow it)

3. SFC scan, CHKDSK and resetting windows 10. Same reason as 1, and I thought it was okay with just one RAM running, I believe there is nothing wrong with the OS itself (tell me if I was wrong).

4. Swapping the RAM to another sticks from the store. There is still a warranty which I can use, but due to pandemic I only can do this if its really proved it was hardware problem - if from these data I provided really conclude that the hardware is the culprit

Anyway as far as I researching many found the solution by tweaking the XMP or basically increasing memory / mobo voltage. Since my laptop (afaik) doesn't support overclocking or entering BIOS advanced mode so I posted this question if there is any more idea.

((This post was a duplicate from my own unsolved post on subreddit r/techsupport.))

Continue reading...