For some reason, Windows keeps asking me to sign in my Windows Security when I want to connect to a network via a LAN cabel

W

Wibbly Wobbly

I have Windows 10 installed on my computer. I am a student and my college gave me access to the "eduroam" network. I can connect to it wirelessly or via LAN cable. In order to be connected via LAN cable, I had to run a program provided by our college. Ran the program, installed it, worked flawlessly. I was able to be connected to the network via the LAN cable. OR should I say, ran perfectly up until recently. I suspected I got some virus on my PC, so I ran some tests. I do have Malwarebytes and ESET antivirus, but I also downloaded Comodo Antivirus, a free antivirus software. Ran some test and it pinged some potentially harmful programs. Deleted them and everything was alright. Next morning I found out that I can't connect to the same "eduroam" network via LAN cable. Every time I tried to, a pop-up keeps asking me to sign in my Windows Security (put a username and password). I don't remember ever singing up on Windows Security, To actually BE connected via LAN, I must have a process called "dot3svc" in order to connect to the network. Every time I try to restart the process, the pop-up keeps, well, popping up. I tried googling it, found various ways of "fixing" the problem. One of the ways was to go to my Windows Credentials and there I could find out my username and password. I tried it, but i didn't hep. I had this PC for about 3 years and I never had this problem before. Neither on this PC or any other before. I am able to connect the the network wirelessly, though. It works just fine like that and it doesn't ask for the security credentials. It just keeps popping up when I want to connect via LAN cable. I know that the obvious solution would be "well, just re-install windows". No doubts about that, but I feel like that is a last resort, after all other options are exhausted.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom