I just reformatted my C: drive and reinstalled Windows 10... "It looks like the hardware on this device has changed."

P

Phoenix87

I just removed some additional hard drive and left my main C: drive on for reformat/reinstall. When I went to reactivate windows, it gave me the error message "It looks like the hardware on this device has changed. Make sure you're connected to the Internet and try again later. Error code: 0xC0EA000A"

I have reinstalled windows in the past and have not encountered this error.

When I log into my Microsoft account and look at devices, I can see my desktop computer and laptop. My desktop computer shows all the correct hardware specifications.

When I try to troubleshoot the activation error, my only option to continue is to hit the "I changed hardware on my device" and then it asks me if I am using my Laptop device but doesn't give me the option to select my desktop device, even though it appears on my account.

I am signed in with the correct account. Using the automated Microsoft online help does not connect me to Microsoft support. So I'm not sure how to continue from here.

This version of Windows 10 was part of the free upgrade from Windows 8. I have changed hardware in the past and continued to activate windows without any errors. I had not made any hardware changes with this reformat, so I'm not sure why it is causing me a problem at this point. I don't have a CD Key, just the online license which appears in the device section of my Microsoft Account.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom