Constant WIFI adapter activity during sleep, then BSOD

H

HyperNic

Hi everyone,

When my laptop with Windows 10 (v1909 build 18363.1256) is plugged in during sleep, it logs about 5 system events per second and thousands of events overnight. This behavior begins as soon as it enters sleep mode. It does NOT occur:

• while sleeping on battery
  • while powered on and plugged in
  • while powered on and on battery

This has been happening since I received the laptop from our company's MSP in October. I am the first user of this laptop. The MSP doesn't have a solution yet, which is why I am here.

BSODs

When resuming from several hours of plugged in sleep, Windows either BSODs right then or wakes to a freshly booted state. After a fresh boot like this, the system event log confirms that there was an earlier crash. The blue screen is the result of a win32k_power_watchdog_timeout error (0x0000019c) from the NT Kernel while the "earlier crash" minidumps reveal a 0x0000014f from PDC.sys and ntoskrnl.exe together. There have been no minidumps generated during battery sleep or normal operation.

Logged events

With a very few exceptions, the events are repeated instances of these four:

• Netwtw08: 7025 - Dump after return from D3 before cmd
  • Netwtw08: 7026 - Dump after return from D3 after cmd
  • e1dexpress: 27 - Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (10) I219-V, Network link is disconnected.
  • Time-Service: 129 - NtpClient was unable to set a domain peer to use as a time source because of discovery error. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: The entry is not found. (0x800706E1)
    • Occurs every 2-3 seconds despite saying that it's going to wait 15+ minutes
    • I need to be connected to a VPN to reach the domain, so I'm not surprised by this error, just by its frequency

Can anyone explain the hyperactive network activity during sleep?

Is this a common issue? There is definitely a correlation with the crashes, if not causation. I have found many answers for how to keep the network connection active during sleep, but I want to do the opposite. I have set "When my PC is asleep and on battery power, disconnect from the network" to Always. I wish this setting had a twin that forces network disconnect while plugged in, too.

Note also that:

• There are no wake/sleep events in the logs
  • powercfg /lastwake returns "Wake History Count - 0"
  • powercfg /requests returns "None" across the board
  • powercfg /sleepstudy isn't terribly enlightening. It shows that the system was in Modern Standby for 8:03:57 hours until it entered Bugcheck state and there is no detailed information about top offenders during Modern Standby
  • There is no outward indication that the laptop isn't sleeping other than it's slightly warm. There are no notification sounds when I receive an email and the cooling fan does not run.
  • Early on, I experienced the frozen blurry login screen issue a couple times, forcing a few restarts to unfreeze the laptop. This hasn't happened in at least a month.

I have:

• Updated the BIOS
  • Updated the wifi adapter driver
  • Rolled back the wifi adapter driver
  • Updated other drivers that were recommended
  • Run a memory diagnostic from BIOS (passed)
  • Run a GPU diagnostic from BIOS (passed)
  • Changed various sleep/hibernate/power settings, one per day

As none of those have helped, I'm about to run the driver verifier. I may also disable the adapter and try a USB wifi adapter to see what happens, but that's not a long-term solution.

I would love some advice from the community! Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Thank you!

Continue reading...