Error 0x800704cf and it's driving me crazy.

L

Lian en Andre

Core problem: can't use any Microsoft apps that need some sort of outgoing data

What happed:
On Friday 18-12-2020 we discovered that the windows virus protection service was not running and could not be started.
we tried a whole bunch of stuff to make it working again (getting rid of rests of the old virusscanners Norton and AVG).
None of that worked. So we opted for the last option on your support site:
'log in as administrator, do a health check and perform a complete repair/update/rebuild of Windows 10':
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:repairSource\install.wim
This took a while and indeed fixed the virus problem. But it gave us a new error back in return:

what does not work:
1. Outlook 2019: The software works fine, but when it tries to imap, pop, smtp to any of the email accounts, it gives the error 0x800704cf 'you need the internet for this'
So I can not receive or send email with any of my accounts. The email settings have been checked and they are properly configurated
2. Windows 10 store: every app that I want to download, can not be downloaded. same error 0x800704cf
3. Xbox app. I have Xbox Gamepass ultimate and downloaded the new flightsimulator when it became available on this pc. Now when I try to game, or even get connected, it says 'you need the internet for this'. Same error code. I cannot game anymore

What does work:
1. The internet works totally fine. All browsers can be used.
2. All apps that require internet, and are not Microsoft, like Adobe CC, Dropbox etc. can connect perfectly and are operational.

What did we try:
- Ran Windows Troubleshooter: Network adapter
- Checked date and time, which were already set to automatic and are correct
- Change adapter settings: disable 'client for Microsoft Networks'
- Complete new install of Office, via online update.
- Logged in as Administrator and via CMD:
- nbtstat –RR
- netsh int ip reset
- netsh winsock reset
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- ipconfig /flushdns
- I reset the DNS client in 'Services'
- Uninstalled/Reinstalled Network Adapters in 'Device Manager' and downloaded the latest drivers
- Changed the Hosts file back to the default MS one.

None of this worked.
Still have error 0x800704cf and it's driving me crazy.
Any suggestions anyone?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom