Portable USB device not recognised after a USB-C port power surge

B

BlueMythril

I had my USB portable hard-drive (ED Elements 4 TB) plugged into my Dell XPS 13 via a USB-C to USB port hub. I then plugged in my phone cable. I got an error message, something along the lines of 'there is a power surge in your USB port. One of the plugged-in devices is drawing more power than the port has. Click reset now to remove'. I then hit 'reset'. But now my USB hard-drive is not recognised by Windows Explorer. It shows up in the safely remove hardware menu in the bottom right (taskbar) and in devices and printers (albeit with no properties), but nothing in explorer. It can see the device, but not read it.

Initially, when I try to troubleshoot or look at properties to see if any errors there, it shows nothing - just "the device is working properly". When I click to remove it via the safely remove hardware option, I get the message “your device can now be removed safely" message, but in devices and printers it suddenly gets a yellow error symbol.

When I click and follow up on that, I eventually get this:

"Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again"

It sounds like my device has got hung up somewhere midway through removal, but cannot get past that.

I have tried:

• Unplugging and putting into another port, and then into another computer (both PC and MAC) - no luck with anything
  • uninstalling and then reinstalling the device driver
  • Restarting the computer after both above (device not plugged in)
  • Restarting the computer after both above (device plugged in)
  • Updating and restarting both computer and device driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

867cd90b-2606-4d3b-a901-172316ca2e93?upload=true.png

99cf36df-947a-4e29-b209-534447ab8bf9?upload=true.png

Continue reading...