How do I share folders from two computers over my home network without using OneDrive?

B

Bruceneo

Note that I can't use OneDrive to transfer files because I currently can only afford the free OneDrive tier.

I use my laptop as a secondary backup to many folders on my desktop. One of these folders is the My Music folder (over 250gb) of which I like to keep synced between the two computers. I don't usually sync but once every so often when I am going on a trip or need to use my laptop for somethings.

I started doing this a few years ago using Syncback free and it worked quite well at first. It seems like over the last year or so I have had to go into my network settings and keep adding and changing permissions so I could continue to sync the My Music folder and another much larger folder from my desktop PC to my laptop.

I have all changed all my sharing settings in the Network settings area on both computers. Here is what I do:

1. I go to the Network & Internet section under settings.
  2. I go to both ethernet and wifi and enable the same settings on both computers.
  3. In Private (current profile) I have Turn on network discovery, Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices, and Turn on file and printer sharing checked.
  4. Under Guest or Public I have Turn on network discovery and Turn on file and printer sharing checked.
  5. Under All Networks I have Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders, use 128 bit encryption, and and Turn off Password protected sharing checked.
  6. Under the folders I want to share I have shared them with "everyone" have have the folder permissions set to read and write.

For some reason the desktop folders I share do not show up in the network path on either computer. If I go to "Show me all the network shares on this computer" it opens a file explorer page with all the shares I've set but they do not actually show up in file explorer when I open it normally. I will try to post an image below.

My laptop does show up in both network folders but it keeps asking for a password that I don't have and in fact is turned off so I do not need to use a password.

In the image below I have to click #1 to get #2 to show up:

c6da17d5-b455-4780-adfd-300695330ba0?upload=true.png

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom