Windows10 fresh install from ISO process completely different than previous

A

AaronWillmott

Hi, I am currently helping my mother out by trying to freshen up a 6 year old laptop that had just gotten very slow, so I have replaced the HDD with a new SSD. Laptop previously running Windows 10, but an upgraded product from Windows 8.

My issue is that during this install, the process is completely different than the other 10 times I have used the same ISO on a USB.

Jumped straight to Cortana, could not continue without a Microsoft account(until I disconnected from the internet and went back and wiped the SSD again), still straight to Cortana but this time with the option to continue to create a local account and connect to the internet later.

Then when I finally got through and proceeded to check if the activation had been transferred and looking to do all the updates, I noticed that the Version was already 2004.At this point i had not connected to the network(via ethernet) and I have completely wiped out all wifi in my home until I can deal with a local hacker, so that cant be it either.

My questions are:

1. How can the initial install process be different on an old ISO?

2. How is it possible that the Version was 2004 straight away when it wasnt out when I downloaded the ISO?

3. Is Microsoft going to continue to go down the Apple path and be logged into the big brother and have everything watched and controlled?

At this point, I would rather have to deal with issues on 10 computers spread out in the family using Linux instead(since I'm the only one computer literate), than deal with this continuos push to generally remove all freedom and privacy from from what should be a personal computer, not part of a corporate network watched by the IT department(in this case Microsoft intergrating eyes and ears directly into the source code)

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom