"insufficient disk space" error copying large number of files to external hard drive

S

sebverghese

I purchased a WD Elements external hard drive with a view to backing up the contents of my Win 10 laptop, particularly the pictures folder. The drive comes ready to use out of the box and File Explorer reports it's formatted as NTFS and has a 4.54 TB capacity.

When I tried copying the pictures folder it gave me an insufficient disk space error, suggesting that there was only 53.5 GB free out of a total 462GB.

I got the same result regardless if I tried to initiate the copy through a right-click "Copy" then "Paste, a CTRL-C then CTRL-V or a right click "Send to" action manually selecting the external hard drive.

I contacted WD support who first suggested reformatting the drive. This made no difference so eventually they told me to return it. I received the replacement today only to have exactly the same problem.

Eventually I worked out that I could copy all the files, just not in one go. By selecting groups of folders rather trying to copy them than all at once it worked. I could even run multiple copies simultaneously.

Can someone please explain what's happening?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom