Cant install KB4474419 and KB4490628 to get SHA-2 support for new drivers.

L

Lamba Chandi

OK... This is going to be a Long post. This also happens to be a first post.

But before we get to that, let me wish everyone here a Very happy and Safe 2021.

TL;DR: Need to get around The error "This Update is not applicable to your computer" posted by Windows Update Standalone Installer during installation of KB4474419 (and KB4490628) required for SHA-2 support in turn required during installation of NVIDIA drivers from Dec 2020

Current System Status:

Hardware:

CPU: AMD FX 6300 Stock cooler & Stock Speed

Motherboard: MSI 990FXA GD 65 V2

Primary boot drive: 120 GB Sata SSD; Partitioned into 3 - Windows C:// (60 GB) , Windows D:// (30 GB) and CentOS 7.6 (30GB)

Secondary HDD: Seagate 640 GB Barracuda PArtitioned into 4 drives.

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB 1866 MHz (Another 8GB just died on me)

Graphics Card: Nvidia 3060TI Founders Ed.

Operating System: Windows 7 64 Bit (I believe it is the Windows Service pack 1), with dual boot. CenTOS was updated from 6,4 or 6.5 to CenTOS 7.6 sometime April 2020.

Windows Update history: KB958488 installed successfully on 16 Feb 2015.

Problem: Installed new GFx card. Downloaded the drivers from NVidia website - Dec 15, 2020 release drivers, and when I tried to install them - says Nvidia Installer cannot continue. As you see, I am required to install KB4474419 and KB4489628. b0123ee8-ebfb-47db-95a0-adeacacf9d83?upload=true.png

When I click on the links in this message, it takes me to download.windowsupdate.com I believe (Legit Microsoft site), and the ensuing steps (opening the file using Windows Update Standalone Installer) Fail with error -This update is not applicable to your computer.

Steps taken already

a. Download to Computer the said file and try and run - same result.

b. Connected/Disconnected to the internet and tried to run off the computer - same result.

c. For both KB4474419 and KB4490628 same thing happens. I suspect I have to install KB4474419 first, but it said the exact same message. I would have expected it to moan about some missing updates in the KB series after KB958488

Notes:

1/ I had switched off Windows Updates ins Services.msc. At that time it gave a different error. Now, I have set it to automatic (delayed start). Only thing is I have not restarted my PC (it did not ask me to; neither did I see this in the youtube video I found for the original error).

2/ I know this Graphics card is serious overkill for an FX-6300 system. However, I had a busted card, so I did not want to buy an inexpensive one right now and then try to sell it later when this CPU/Mobo/RAM tanks. In any case one of the RAM sticks died, so I don't think this Proc+Mobo will see 2022. Will upgrade next when the system breaks down hardware wise.

3/ I wish to continue having the dual boot system for various reasons, so please provide the solution that retains this arrangement.

4/ I Do NOT want to use Windows 10 of any version (home/pro/enterprise), this is critical. I suppose, Point 1/ above makes sense now.

5/I did see something similar to mine here but there are just too many use cases - and Linux or no Linux people seem to have similar problems and have come up with different solutions. In any case, I am not keen on performing Open Heart Surgery on my OS without having an expert opinion on MY system.

One of the solutions was renaming the System Reserved Partition - I wish to report mine shows 100 MB, NTFS, Healthy System A in Disk Management tool.

Thanks for your patience in reading this information

Any pointers would be welcome.

Best regards,

Continue reading...

Top Bottom