E disk disappeared from Windows 10 settings but shows 100% active time in task manager, causing my pc to be incredibly slow

S

Still Feedz

Hello,

My pc worked fine last night, but today after startup I noticed programs were not opening when clicking on them and icons on my desktop were not loading (some of them, not all).

Certain programs, like discord, windows settings, chrome and task manager work just fine. Windows explorer works fine aswell, but as soon as I click on the E drive in the explorer, it stops responding and I get the spinning 'loading' cursor.

In windows settings, under storage, I can see an overview of my drives and their respective capacity, my E drive is not listed here. It does shop up in the task manager however, but like I said with 100% active time. Overall disk usage under the 'processes' tab in the task manager is hovering around 25-26% in idle. The E drive is not actively writing or reading anything, it spikes to like 80 KB/s once every minute or so.

I noticed Windows took longer to startup this morning, and read that for some people this problem gets resolved after like 10-15 minutes, but after well over an hour it's still here.

My specs:

Ryzen 5 3600

2x8 GB RAM @ 3600MHz

MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC

MSI B450M A-Pro Max

Samsung EVO 960 (or 970, a 256gb ssd used to boot windows from)

2 other internal HDD's (a 2TB one and a 500GB one)

1 External 1TB HDD, this is the E drive that's causing the problem. This is connected through a USB 3.0 in the back of my PC.

Running windows 10 version 1909.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom