Flashing Screen, HP Laptop

T

TomWhiteJnr

I’ve a friend with an HP laptop Windows 10, about 18 months old, with a flashing screen problem that started before Xmas. Can’t see any software installed around that date and running Taskmaster, the flashing continues (Internet says this indicates not a software problem).

Opened Device Manager in safe mode, uninstalled the display monitor (Intel UHD Graphics 620) and rebooted: loaded a driver and flashing continued. (Tried update, it said already latest version). Windows Updates is turned on and up to date but System Restore unfortunately is turned off and Microsoft trouble-shooter hasn’t identified any problem.

Tried Command Prompt as Administrator then the following fixes: -
sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
but all ran without finding any error.

Screen resolution is set to 1920 x 1080 and 60Hz refresh rate. Tried changing the refresh rate to 40Hz but no improvement.

In Safe Mode/Minimal the flashing stops but Safe Mode/Active Directory Repair and the flashing continues.

Assuming I identify the service or services causing the problem (switch off additional services one by one until the flashing stops) will I be able to download and replace the service? I’ve had problems in the past with corrupt files in use by the operating system not allowing any changes to be made to them.

I’ve noticed that moving the laptop lid towards the almost closed position increases the flashing.
Are there any other fixes that could perhaps resolve the problem or is it back to factory settings?

Continue reading...