Windows display sometimes dark after startup, standby, monitor sleep - but mouse cursor is normal brightness

T

TheoLu

As a preface I am on a desktop, using a AMD RX570, running driver version 20.11.2 (WQHL) on Windows 10 Pro build 19041

As the title suggests, sometimes one of my monitors (if not both) will be 'dark' after start-up, coming out of standby or even simply turning the monitors back on when the system had been idle for a while. The mouse cursor, however, is normal brightness throughout this issue. The means of resolving it seems to vary, but any one of the following can restore it:

• Telling Windows to not use that monitor (show display only on x -> extend to this display) (highest success rate)
  • Changing the resolution on that monitor (very seldom works, doesn't seem to work no matter how many times it's tried if the first attempt did nothing)
  • Unloading and reloading the calibration profile (whether via Windows' control panels or DisplayCal - occasionally works)
  • Turning night light on/off and back to its 'intended' state (seldom works)
  • Enabling and disabling HDR on my HDR-capable monitor (often works, but unavailable on my other monitor, which doesn't have HDR) - by default I do not use HDR and it is disabled system-wide to my knowledge, if relevant
  • Altogether restarting Windows/shutting down and booting up again
  • Going into sleep mode and restoring the session

I don't have any sorts of brightness options within Windows for either monitor. This issue began occurring out of the blue about two(?) months ago and I've yet to find any reproducible 'trigger' for it; today it happened for the first time I can recall when my monitors were simply off for power saving, and it only happened on my secondary (non-HDR) display.

Things which have never caused the issue to go away are:

• Changing refresh rate of the affected monitor
  • Changing resolution of the affected monitor (well, ALMOST never... I basically don't bother trying this anymore since I think out of the 50< times I've had this issue now this has worked maybe twice)
  • Changing bit-depth of the affected monitor (main monitor has 8/10/12-bit available depending on refresh rate)
  • Enabling/disabling Freesync in the AMD driver (disabled on the main monitor, disabled in the AMD driver)
  • Going through any amount of the Windows monitor calibration process

Does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it?

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom