Windows 10 Crashing Overnight (External Monitor Issue?)

S

stanmoor1

Hey guys,

Every night I leave my laptop (Dell XPS 13 9310 2-in-1) on overnight, in sleep mode. About a week ago, I woke in the night as the screen on my laptop had turned on, with an error message from Windows. I recall it saying about a failed update, but don't recall as I immediately shut it down given it was the middle of the night. I do remember the error message being on a white background though.

Since then, every morning when I wake and go to my laptop, the laptop screen is unresponsive, the fans are on full blast, and it's hot to touch. I have to force shut down using the power button, and power it back on where I'm greeted with the 'Windows didn't load correctly' splash page. I then restart again, and the system loads slowly.

Over the past few days I've been checking online and tried to do a number of tests, i've run virus scanners, i've run a few 'repair' commands within cmd that I'd seen online, and nothing, it's the same every morning. I have a suspicion the crash is linked to my external monitor because I unplugged a USB-C dock (which is then connected to a number of peripherals), and there was no crash the next day. I'm still trying to prove this, as last night I only unplugged an external hard drive connected to the dock, and it still crashed.

Any ideas on what I should do? I left the computer in the day yesterday for 4 hours and there was no crash, so it seems it only happens overnight or it happens after more than 4 hours. Hibernate in the settings is set to be something like 30000 minutes so I don't think it's that. I viewed 'Event Viewed' and system tab, and there were these errors in the night:

USB device draining system power when system is idle. USB Device: VID: 0x5E3 PID: 0x749 REV: 0x1532 Removal action failed: SkippedAsPersistentIoObserved

The server {AB8902B4-09CA-4BB6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

The server {94269C4E-071A-4116-90E6-52E557067E4E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

USB device draining system power when system is idle. USB Device: VID: 0x46D PID: 0xAB7 REV: 0x19

Removal action failed: QueryRemovalInitiated

I've updated BIOS and drivers to the latest available and the problem still persists. Is anybody able to offer guidance? I'm speaking with Dell as well but they just tell you to do 'basic' things like update drivers etc, which haven't helped.

Thanks

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom