How to completely remove Windows system installed UI language (German to US English)

G

Garcia_J

Hi all

I've purchase a new laptop in Germany, the machine supplied with a Windows 10 Pro in German (de-DE).

First thing I've done was to changed the language to en-US on the Language options by choosing English (US) language pack, and move it up (so the German language has the option to be removed).

Second thing: I've changed the Region advanced option (copy all the en-US settings to the Welcome screen and New user), followed by a restart and then I deleted the German language pack, and changing all the Language, Location, Regional format, Speech etc.. to English US.

I installed the Hebrew language as well, but not as the system's display language (just keyboard layout).

After restarting the pc, I have noticed that there're some German "leftovers" (some Start menu items, the Speaker icon on taskbar shows as "Lautsprecher", some menus and descriptions on Local User and Group (lusrmgr.msc), and a few apps).

I was searching for an online solution, and I was surprised to see that this is very common problem, but I still can't remove the German UI/system language completely.

I have tried the following options:

1. RUN: lpksetup /u - German language cannot be delete because it's the default system language.

2. PowerShell - By using: Get WinUserLanguageList, de-DE language wasn't show there at all !!! only English and Hebrew:

LanguageTag : en-US

Autonym : English (United States)

EnglishName : English

LocalizedName : English (United States)

ScriptName : Latin

InputMethodTips : {0409:00000409}

Spellchecking : True

Handwriting : False

LanguageTag : he

Autonym : עברית

EnglishName : Hebrew

LocalizedName : Hebrew

ScriptName : Hebrew

InputMethodTips : {040D:0002040D}

Spellchecking : True

Handwriting : False

3. Command Prompt - DISM /online /get-intl: I've got this result:

Reporting online international settings.

Default system UI language : de-DE

The UI language fallback is : en-US

System locale : en-US

Default time zone : W. Europe Standard Time

Active keyboard(s) : 0409:00000409, 040d:0002040d

Keyboard layered driver : Not installed.

Installed language(s): de-DE

Type : Partially localized language, MUI type.

Fallback Languages en-US

Installed language(s): en-US

Type : Fully localized language.

Installed language(s): he-IL

Type : Partially localized language, MUI type.

Fallback Languages en-US

4. I tried to do this as well: RUN: %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe (According to the guide I have found here). but I was never asked which language I want to use to setup Windows...

Is there any solution for this issue???

I was sure that it's so simple procedure, after all it's just to change the system language, not supposed to be so complicated :)

Anyway, I'll be very happy to know how to remove German language completely and use only en-US as system language.

Thanks in advance.

Ami

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom