File history exists on a separate drive but can't be seen after clean install of w10.

R

RobertGraham4

Hello and Happy New Year, all!

My girlfriend's PC was intermittently freezing after upgrading from w7 to w10 so I decided to do a clean install of w10. I first did both a FH backup and copied the c: drive contents, just in case, to a physically separate drive (d:). I was following clean install instructions posted on this site. Install went fine but now I can't restore the File History from the d: drive. File Explorer shows the History Files ARE there but using w10 Restore process can't see them for some reason. It sees the drive and will write new FH data to the same drive but when I try to update from an older backup even, the History file I know is there does not show to choose from.

I have searched this site and many others for a solution yet nothing I have tried has been successful so far.

Any help will be much appreciated as I have been working this for about a full day now.

Cheers

PS: While typing this out, I remembered that I physically disconnected the d: dive during the clean install process, so it could not possibly be affected. Could this be the reason and will I need to reinstall w10 with both drives connected? I really hope not.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom