Unable to use manual DNS settings; configuring manual DNS or using a VPN breaks internet

S

SPS (Sean S)

Hello!

I am running Windows 10 version 20H2, build 19042.685.

When I try to configure manual DNS under my adapter properties, DNS no longer resolves and my internet does not function properly. Moreover, when I use a VPN service, the internet does not function, presumably due to the same issue.

Some notes:

• This is not related to my network. This machine has been taken to several different networks, and the issue has persisted on all of them. Moreover, I have configured several other devices on the SAME network as the Windows 10 machine, all of which can use custom DNS or VPNs with ease.
  • This issue does not persist if I set my DNS to configure automatically.
  • The DNS server I am trying to use is not blocked on my network. Again, I have tried this on several networks so this should not be a concern, but I specifically tested it on other devices and made certain that any and all DNS servers I was attempting to use were in fact not blocked on the network.

Troubleshooting steps already attempted:

• Disabling antivirus (Bitdefender)
  • Uninstalling antivirus
  • Restarting several times
  • Trying to set custom DNS on WiFi as well as Ethernet adapters (internet works on neither when custom DNS is configured)
  • Resetting TCP/IP using netshell "netsh int ip reset"
  • Flushing DNS cache using "ipconfig /flushdns"

Any further information on reasons this might be happening as well as possible solutions would be greatly appreciated!!

6a13cce5-bcfb-42f2-8981-9a5669e74359?upload=true.png

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom