Computer works in Safe Mode but "crashes" just before login screen

R

Ryan_Mayer

Hey All,

Thanks in advance for reading about my issue.

PROBLEM:
This issue has happened three or four times now over the past year and a half and what I did to "fix" it previously, didn't work the following times. I've attached a screencap from my phone of what I see when the issue happens. The screen just changes to the vertical lines and I can't do anything. Nothing seems to work aside from a forced reboot. Before it was kind of random when it happened, very infrequent and impossible to recreate.

The first time this happened, I don't know exactly what "fixed" the issue but everything seemed to be back to normal after running all the tests/scans mentioned below.

The time after that, I just did a reinstall of Windows after a tech guy from a company called 'Nerds on Site' couldn't figure out the issue and just recommended this action.

The last time, I restored from a previous point and that seemed to correct the issue for a while.

Now, I can't even get to the login screen before this happens. Sometimes, just a flash of it and then the coloured screen with vertical lines. I've tried what feels like everything, I'm at a complete loss and definitely feeling defeated.

*System info and Troubleshooting are after the image.

Here's the closeup view of what happens when things go wrong:

dd0af6b5-afa7-4a91-ae53-9d19454cadfc?upload=true.jpg

The colour doesn't matter, that seems to just be dependant on whatever the desktop image's colours are.

SYSTEM:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.39 GHz

RAM 16.0 GB

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

OS: Edition Windows 10 Pro / Version 20H2 / Build 19042.685

Display: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series

Sound: AMD High Definition Audio Device

Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio

Hard Drive: NTFS, 463.73GB, Not compressed

Malware: Malwarebytes

AntiVirus: Avast

Nothing new installed lately (software nor hardware)

TROUBLESHOOTING:

• Checked around a gazillion articles online;
  • Restored from a previous point;
  • Checked that Windows and all drivers are up to date;
  • Ran several system file check (SFC) scans and repair system files;
  • Ran DISM (checkhealth/scanhealth);
  • Unplugged external hard drives and fans;
  • Changed Resolution on Monitor (I'm trying anything over here);
  • Looked for the "Minidump" folder, but it wasn't there (saw this in an article);
  • Did a Clean Boot and unchecked all services;

I can get into my computer via Safe Mode with Networking and I have run the above scans as well. Checking the CBS.log file for "corrupt" I found this three times: Failed to clear CorruptionDetectedDuringAcr store corrupt flag (slow mode trigger). [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]. After searching on Google, none of the solutions worked.

I can't replicate the issue in Safe Mode.

Any advice would be incredibly helpful so that I can actually pinpoint the exact problem!

THANK YOU!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom