Can I import my Windows Live Mail 2012 to Windows Mail, including all locally stored folders and emails?

D

Dimitrious G

In short, my father-in-law used Windows Live Mail 2012 for the longest time. Recently, he upgraded to Windows 10, but somewhere along the line Windows 10 installed improperly and the computer needs to be reinstalled. However, as HP refuses to provide the Windows OEM Key so I can do the install manually, I am needing to do it another way. Regardless, the entire system requires a clean slate (there's also other issues about the RAM registering at 130, 6500 and 3200 mhz, when it's simply 1600).

That being said, I have successfully exported his entire locally stored email account, which includes all the folders and emails, from Windows Live Mail 2012 to a folder on my PC. Before I do the refresh on his PC though, I wanted to ensure I can import those files directly to any other mail server (Windows' Mail app or Outlook app, or any other app?). I have been unsuccessful importing this file (which is about 13GB) into either application.

These are the files that have been exported:

• wlmail.fol
  • Each folder, which includes every email ending in an ".eml", and then a "wlmail.fol" file at the bottom of each folder.

How would I be able to, if possible, import all those files and folders from his entire Windows Live Mail 2012 locally stored backup to any other program on Windows 10?

Thanks in advance!

Edit:

Additional info:

• The first Windows OS was 8.1, and he upgraded to 10. Both are the Home versions of Windows.
  • The issue with Windows 10 is it keeps the screen flashing white or grey every 2 seconds. Because of this, you cannot open nearly any folder, setting, or do anything with the task bar or desktop. I only got to do the backup by doing opening Task Manager, hitting Run New Task, then opening wlmail.exe". Otherwise, I was not able to open the app in any manner.
  • I cannot install any other app as the OS is completely broken. Aside from the screen flashing, and the RAM not registering at the right speeds, Windows keeps trying to run "Windows Crash Manager" and "HP Crash Assist" (or whatever those two programs are called) and because of this, RAM, CPU, and Disk are all maxed at 100% and it just keeps trying to open them and crashing. Then, open a new crash log for that crash, then crashing doing that. And so on.
  • In the end, I got the hard drive on my desktop and the problem continues, showing that there may not be a hardware issue, but instead a software issue. Disc Management shows no errors on his hard drive.
  • The email was using a POP3 server (or whatever that's called, this was my first time using this).
  • I will, of course, update this and answer any questions, if asked or requested.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom