Almost every app I tried to run gives me this error ; “Windows cannot access the device, path or file... after the install of January 12 update

O

OneTrickPony_B

Almost every app I tried to run gives me this error ; “Windows cannot access the device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.”

This started happening last night (1-12-2021) when I installed two Windows updates and rebooted. McAffee gives me a pop up which says something to the effect of “stopping something dangerous, caught something trying to hijack one of your apps”. I ran a full virus scan and no results of malware or viruses.

The first thing that happened was the above then I got a black screen with a functioning mouse pointer, then it crashed after several reboots. I was caught in a loop. It repeatedly broght the ” Blue repair screens”, the one where you can do a restore, use command prompt, etc.

I then managed to try a restore of the latest disk image. I then got an error. I tried this again, same result. I then tried to reinstall windows from a usb recovery stick. I had to play around with the Bios, which I am not proficient. Then when I realized. I had no usb recovery drive, i put it back into UEFI mode. And it booted up and now I am not experiencing crashes or that black screen with movable mouse pointer. But I am back to the above error for all the apps I try to run. Microsoft Office apps sometimes work and sometimes do not. I can’t even run the applets in the control panel.

1. Does anyone have the same problem since installing yesterday’s updagtes?

2. Does anyone know how to fix it or what is going on?

Thanks in advance

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom