100% disk usage all the time even with 0 programs or apps openned

Y

Yuel44

I currently have tried almost everything to fix this issue. However it's only recently that I found out about it.

My laptop always had issues being slow despite the fairly decent specs. (click to view). Keep in mind that I reset this pc twice and it showed the same slow mediocre performance.

It became almost unusable after a year and I stopped using it. But around a week ago, I wanted to take a look at it and see what was wrong. Well I found the problem; no matter what I'm doing, the task manager shows me that my disk usage is consistently always at 100% usage even when I'm not doing anything.

Here's what I tried :

- I checked if there were any physical issues with the drive by running a drive check. No errors were found.

- I disabled the search service.

- I disabled ScheduledDefrag from the task scheduler.

- I disabled Diagtrack service from cmd.

- I disabled sysmain from windows PowerShell.

- I installed all the recent updates just in case. (Even before or after the updates, the pc was extremely slow so I don't think it could be a direct cause. I also used to disable windows update months ago in hopes it would improve the performance when it didn't.)

-I re-enabled the defrag scheduler and tried to run a disk optimization which is currently running at pass 5 now but I see no changes in the 100% disk usage.

- I downloaded Malwarebytes to check if there were any viruses that were causing the issue, but nothing really important was found.

-I removed ALL unnecessary apps/programs that could slow down the laptop, and disabled start-up programs from the task manager.

Here's what I noticed :

- My laptop makes a weird sound whenever it's on, like something is spinning inside. Not a fan sound, it's not loud but it's kind of annoying. I can't really describe it.

-I noticed that there's a sort of improvement in performance if I use the computer a lot, whereas if I don't it's even slower than ever. However, the disk issue remains persistent.

-I also noticed that the services that use around 60% of my disk consistently are either windows update, system or occasionally wsapxx.

One solution :
- Changing my main HDD disk to an SSD one with a copy of windows from my desktop pc that works perfectly fine.

Now here's the question, I don't know if this will really change anything. I'm not sure if it's worth spending the money in case there is another solution that I've been missing out. And that's why I'm here. I'm trying to solve this problem, so it would be nice if anyone here could help.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom