Text size will randomly change except fo Universal Apps.

S

streetwolf

My problem seems to have started with Windows 10 20H2 but I'm not 100% sure. First some facts. I have a large screen 4K monitor. At the default DPI everything is way to small. To make things larger I set my OS DPI to 200% in Windows Setting under Ease of Access. 200% is really not high enough but going above 200% causes many of my programs to become blurry. I guess they aren't DPI aware above 200%. To make things larger I set the 'Make text bigger' slider to 125%. This will increase the text size of things like File manager, menus, etc. It also changes the size of Universal apps. In fact the preview shown when moving the slider seems to reflect the actual size of Universal apps and not normal apps. Universal text size is probably twice as big as normal apps which I find peculiar. It makes me wonder if Make text bigger is really geared for Universal apps and while it does make normal apps bigger the text size will change as in my case. As I said the text size of Universal apps never changes on me.

Let's assume my text is as I want it. At some point while doing work I will notice that text on non Universal apps will become smaller. Again things like File Manager, Menus, and some other apps. Sometimes when I boot up Windows the text size is large and sometimes it is small. At some point in time the text size will either get larger when it's small or vice versa.

The font size is 11 points in Windowmetrics in the registry. This is what the make text bigger slider changes. Even when my text becomes smaller the font size is still 11 points. So it might be some negative interaction between OS DPI and Make Text bigger which I still think might be geared for Universal apps and not normal apps hence the change in text size. Just a guess.

My aim is to keep the text size from changing. I never had this problem in the past which is why I am thinking that 20H2 or perhaps a subsequent cumulative update caused my problem. I am not asking how to make text bigger I already know how to do that obviously. What I am experiencing seems to be a bug perhaps as I said between setting a large OS DPI and Make text bigger.

I recently had to do an in place upgrade of my Windows 10 for another reason. I was hoping this would have corrected my issue but it did not. I am not looking for other possibilities as to why this is happening.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom