Is it a bad disk, or a .NET Framework issue? Desperate for an answer

M

Migizi_Matt

I've got a puzzle here and am hoping someone from this hive mind can help. I don't know what else to try, and without an answer I have a pretty major problem. Hopefully this is all the info you might need...

PLATFORM: Dell Latitude 5591 (2.5 years old) running Windows 10 Pro, which is up to date (v 20H2). Not much software installed beyond that, but I'll list it all at the end of the post.

SYMPTOMS:
Starting a few months back, around October or so:
--Occasional message in the Windows notification window recommending I use CHKDSK to resolve disk errors
--I would do CHKDSK /r via elevated CMD, runs on next restart.
--Problem dispppears for a few days. CHKDSK report appears clean in Event Viewer.
--Problem returns, every few days or so. And now start getting seemingly random errors, such as:
----Epson Fax Utility tells can't run because it is either corrupt or cannot run on Windows (I don't even use that)
----Some Windows process I've never heard of throws an exception with no useful information
--Then the big problem - one day I go to open Quicken, and it won't open. Tried opening from different icon locations, tried restart, even uninstalled and resintalled the software - same result: double-click, it acts like it's chomping for a second, then nothing. No process in Task Manager. No sign it is running at all.
--The same time this happens, also noticed that iDrive (for automated backups) hasn't been running in days either.
--This narrowed me down to a .NET Framework issue. So I downloaded and ran the Microsoft .NET Repair Tool and run it. Result: found problems it cannot fix ("The tool is unable to resolve the installation issue..."), sends the reports to Microsoft. Not real helpful. CBS log has a bazillion lines in it and I can't tell what is what, but there are no ERROR lines.
--Tried downloading and running a freeware tool called the .NET Cleanup Tool. It runs. No change. Doesn't seem to do anything.
--Tried to run SFC /scannow, which completes it's verification to 100%, then tells me there are errors it cannot fix.
--Tried DISM (Online, Cleanup-Image, Restorehealth), and it tells me it doesn't even recognize the "Cleanup-Image" command. Error 87. Over and over.
--Tried to uncheck the .NET Framework (v4.8 for me - only version running) in Windows Features, restarted, started MS Word. Didn't work. Then re-checked the box, restarted, then opened MS Word - still doesn't work.
--Since I clearly could not fix .NET, I tried a Windows Repair. Long story short the corruption was bad enough that I couldn't do the version that kept my apps, or my files, or anything else. Had to do a clean install from ISO (USB), then download all my personal files from the iDrive site (which took like 2 days), reloaded software, etc.
--THIS SEEMED TO WORK FOR ABOUT 2-3 WEEKS

Then the cycle started all over again in the last week. Disk warnings, then random errors on startup, then couldn't run anything that uses .NET Framework. And now here I am, again! CHKDSK says no issues. The only GOOD NEWS this time is, at least on the software side, I think I can narrow down the likely culprit a bit. iDrive uses .NET Framework, and it ran successfully on the morning of the 14th (last Windows update was a few days before this, security fixes, not .NET). Since that time, the ONLY software I have used actively is Microsoft Word (which now doesn't work either!!!), Windows Explorer, and Firefox. And in the background, the only 3rd party software running are Malwarebytes (my prime suspect), some Epson software for the printer, and iDrive.

HERE IS MY DILEMMA: This seems to be one of two possible things. Either some software is causing corruption to the .NET Framework, or, the HDD is corrupted in some way. In other words, is it software or hardware? Without being able to tell which it is, I can't tell what to do next! Anyone have any advice? If it is the disk then I'll buy a new one and reload, but if it turns out it was software, then I just blew time and money because the problem will return when I reload and use the software. If it IS a software issue, how can I tell what software is the culprit? Any help is appreciated!

FOR THE RECORD, here are ALL the third party software packages I installed on this laptop, when they were last used if at all, etc.:
--MS Office 2016 (used almost daily since Windows install a month ago)
--Firefox browser (also used pretty much daily)
--Malwarebytes (runs in background of course, but now won't open or run at all)
--iDrive (runs in background and daily backup - last run 1/14 early AM cleanly, failed to run on 15th)
--Quicken 2020 (last used on the 11th, used weekly-ish)
--Epson recommended software for use with the XP-810 printer I have
--Adobe Acrobat Reader (haven't opened a PDF in a week or two)
--MusicBee (haven't used in weeks)
--Google Earth (haven't used at all)

That's all I have added to this computer. I appreciate any advice or help! Thank you!

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom