How can you identify and locate Temporary Files

R

roninrr2

Under Windows 10 Start->Settings->System->Storage->C: - my 1TB drive shows 746GB used and 184GB Free - and the breakdown from there is:

Other: 231GB

Temporary Files: 128GB <-------??

Pictures: 118GB

Other People: 105GB

System & reserved: 73GB

Apps & Games: 36GB

Documents: 34GB

OneDrive: 16GB

Music: 695MB

etc.

First of all, I don't know what Other: and Other People: are:

1) but clicking on the "Other", the breakdown shows a bunch of Folders from an Older computer, I guess that I had backed up on the C: drive - and I am OK with that.

2) Clicking on the "Other People", for a breakdown all I get is:

"You can manage other user accounts on this PC below"

"Manage other people" <-- (in clickable Blue, but clicking on it does nothing(

AND THEN NOTHING

I am assuming that this is my Admin User account - and am OK with that, it that is what it is

3) MY CONCERN is with the 128GB of Temporary Files.

When I click on "Temporary Files" to get a breakdown, all I get is a list of Categories of temporary files with a total size of 2.18GB selected (to be removed) if I check on every one of the categories listed.

So where are the other 126GB of Temporary Files.

I have searched everywhere, but frankly really don't know what to look for. I have tried Disk Cleanup - and that didn't help either.

WARNING ABOUT DISK CLEANUP: In trying to recover some Disk space, there was an item in Disk Cleanup that was labeled as "Deletes of System Restore Points" - which was supposed to Delete "old" System Restore points but save the new, last Restore point. IT DOESN"T - it deleted my single last Restore point. System & reserved was 226GB before the "Deletes of System Restore points", and 73GB after it wiped out my Restore point - not happy that it did that, but not too likely to need the Restore point, although it was recent, created by Windows when doing the Windows Version 20H2 update. [OK, I won't belabor this point farther - the Restore point is gone and I did pick up some disk space.]

But back to my questions of where or how can I recover the 128GB that Windows has identified as Temporary Files. Trying to do some large backups from OneDrive to an External Hard drive and need some additional space on my C: drive.

ron in shawnee

Continue reading...