USB C device becomes 'invisible' after being unplugged; works in other computers

R

RWood27

I have a USB C Device (a "24 Inch Pen Display") that becomes 'invisible' to Windows after being unplugged, disconnected, or after the computer is shut down or goes to sleep. (This does not occur every time I do any of the above; only sometimes.)

By 'invisible' I mean that plugging in the device does not prompt the system to 'beep' as it usually would when a USB device is connected or disconnected, and the device does not appear in device manager -- it is as if nothing is plugged into that port.

The device only becomes visible again after I plug another device into the same USB C port, or plug the Pen Display device into another computer. (And again, this is not consistent -- sometimes doing this will 'resurrect' the device on the first try; other times I have to try repeating these actions in various combinations before Windows (apparently at random) decides to stop 'ignoring' the device.)

Some things to note:

- The device is ALWAYS detected by my partner's MacBook (suggesting the device is not faulty)

- My computer ALWAYS detects other devices plugged into the same USB C port (suggesting the port is not faulty)

- The device NEVER loses connection whilst in use (suggesting that the issue occurs when the device is disconnected via cable unplugging or the computer switching off)

Things I have already tried:

- Uninstalling device drivers

- Using the 'show hidden devices' function of device manager to show all previously connected USB devices, and deleting them

- Updating, uninstalling, and reinstalling the drivers for my USB Root Hub and all USB devices

- Updating my chipset drivers

- Disabling USB selective suspend

- Locating the Pen Display in device manager and unchecking 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'
- Doing the same for all of my USB controllers

- Disabling 'fast startup'

- Running the hardware troubleshooter

- Running SFC scan from the command line

- Using the command line to disable hibernation

- Updating Windows to the latest version

- Using USBDeview to view all USB devices ever connected and delete old entries

- Using CCleaner to clean the registry

I am completely baffled by this issue. The only ideas I have is that perhaps a registry entry somewhere has gone awry, but I don't know enough about the registry to know where I would go to purge USB device entries.

Given that the issue occurs when Windows loses connection with the device, I wonder if the USB C port or the device controllers are somehow 'deactivating' the device, or blacklisting it somehow?? I am honestly at a loss here.

For a while I thought the USB C port might be set to deactivate when a device is removed, but given that other devices always work in that same port (even immediately after it has 'lost' the Pen Display) I don't know if this can be the case.

I would welcome any and all suggestions for things I haven't tried!

Continue reading...