0xc000000e Boot error. Normal fixes don't work

I

ikon107

This issue occurred after I installed a new SSD and cloned my old start drive too it. I tried to expand the drive to utilize the full capacity of the SSD by using AOMEI Partition assistant and merging the new cloned volume and the large unassigned partition. I needed to restart it and rebooted into PreOS mode. Doing this I get the 0xc000000e boot error.

I restart the computer from a USB, then enter the command prompt.

bootrec /rebuildbcd finds an installation on the E: drive, and asks if I want to add the installation to the boot list. Answering Y yeilds:

"The system cannot find the path specified"

bootrec /FixMbt

completes succefully

bootrec /FixBoot yeilds "Access is denied"

To fix this I follow a guide that leads to me changing the letter of the volume that Windows is installed on (E:) to "V:". It then asks me to input
format V: /FS:FAT32 This first asks me of the name of the drive, which I give it. Then it warns me that formatting will clear everything. At this point I chicken out because none of the guides I was reading mentioned this. The next step was to enter: bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI which I did without formatting, this didn't work for any letter I placed before "\windows".

Worth noting is that in diskpart I didn't find any volume that clearly stated that it was an EFI partition. I also found some unlabeled partitions that I weren't sure of what they were, including one Hidden FAT32 100MB partition.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom