Can I transfer an OEM Windows 10 Home licence that I purchased a 10 Pro upgrade for to a new computer?

R

RE993

Pardon if this has been asked ad nauseam, mildly tired and my reading comprehension skills are a bit tanked right now. Would prefer a simple yes/no response if that's not too much trouble.

I have a laptop purchased in 2015 that came with an OEM version of Windows installed. For the life of me I cannot remember if it came with Windows 10 or if I'd upgraded to it via the free program, but either way it currently has Windows 10 Home 64 bit up and running. The old friend doesn't seem up to the task of playing newer games fluently anymore, so I am planning to migrate to a desktop soon. Building one myself to save a few bucks, actually, which is fun other than the fact that I now have to worry about Windows. I was tempted by Linux for a bit but I use too much MS stuff for that to be feasible.

There may be illicit means of securing activations but I'm not gonna bother with them because that's just too tiresome. That said, the price of a retail copy of Win10 Home in my country is nearly double the USD120 American MSRP, which I find moderately disgusting.

I have the option of upgrading to a Pro licence for a less offensive price. Will I be able to use the licence paid for via this upgrade and migrate it to the yet-unbuilt PC? I do not know if this will still count as an OEM install, and I do not wish to waste the money experimenting. This OEM copy is linked to my Microsoft account, if that helps any.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom