Windows 10 - High RuntimeBroker Memory utilisation

S

SamTStephens

Hi All

I have searched and read the "official" page on the topic. Runtime Broker is using too much memory (microsoft.com)

However, killing the process and restarting is only a temporary solution and does not actually assist in understanding what the issue that is causing the memory use/hold/leak or whatever is happening.

I have a Surface Pro 6 i7, 8GB RAM PC and this, coupled with the heavy RAM usage of Teams and Edge has been progressively causing me issues since Oct/Nov but I just sort of put up with it/rebooted when Teams calls started to fail etc. However, it is such a rapid re-event now that I have to get to the bottom of it.

Edition Windows 10 Pro

Version 20H2

Installed on ‎21/‎08/‎2020

OS build 19042.746

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Windows is fully up to date and I frequently check for updates, all of my Windows Store apps are up to date also.

How do I go about trying to identify the rogue program/app that is causing this issue. I really don't want to be forced to upgrade to a 16 GB RAM machine if I don't have to, at least before the SP8 is available.

Any help or advice appreciated ... that is not "uninstall every program and see if the issue goes away" ... I am sure there must be some event log or dump that can be sifted for this Runtime Broker that will help uncover the culprit.

Continue reading...