Not indexing- only photos taken with Canon camera in Landscape orientation-excluded from Index

M

MargtheCar1

I noticed this weird problem with the Search function. I wanted a photo I KNEW I had, that had "Craig" in the title. Search did not find it. I knew the year, so was able to find it manually. While in the folder with the target "Craig" file, I searched "Craig" and Search returned zero results. There were actually 3 files with "Craig" in the name and Search found none of those.

None of these actions fixed the problem: rebuilt index with default settings, rebuilt index with jpg properties set to search file contents, copy/paste file, gave file a shorter name, searched for Property differences between unfindable and findable photos (found nothing obvious).

I turned indexing off, and Search found the "Craig" file just fine, but of course this is terribly slow for large searches.

So these particular files are not being indexed. I am trying to figure out why they are being excluded from the index.

In exploring other folders of photos, I noticed a strange pattern. ******So far, Search can find all photos EXCEPT those in Landscape orientation taken with my old Canon digital camera. ****** If they are Portrait orientation or taken with a different camera, Search finds them just fine.

I do not know if this is true for each and every photo as I do not have that much time to manually test this, but definitely for at least about hundred photos it is true.

I used to use Picasa from google to process my photos and did see a shadowy picasa.ini in one of the folders. I now use the standard MS Photos app. Could picasa have left something behind in the files to make them unIndexable? If so, how can I easily fix it?

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem? Hopefully in a fast, batch way. Manual searching is for the birds! :)

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom