Need help resolving "Device Not MIgrated" error adding a drive to a Win10 x64 installation

B

Bob Riddle

I have recently added a 2nd SSD drive to a Win10 x64 system build 19042.746 running an older Asus Z87-A motherboard / Core I-7 to make my VMs perform better than on the main mechanical spinning drive.

It was added to a vacant SATA port and assigned V: and is an exact model/firmware match for the existing main C: boot drive (both are Samsung 860 Pro formatted as MBR). There is also a large GTP-formatted Western Digital spinning disk drive as D:. I found My Acronis backup software will not back up the new drive at the drive level; only at the folders/file level. I'm having no other issues with the drive.

While investing this I found a "Device not migrated" event for that drive and am hoping that's why this drive isn't accessible to Acronis at the low disk level. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to find the cause of this "Not migrated" error.

==> I found that on the V: disk's Device Manager/../Events tab:

Device not migrated
Device configured (disk.inf)
Device Started (disk)

with "Information" panel:

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_Samsun_&Prod_SSD_860_PRO_512G\4&20155ac6&0&050000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\Disk&Ven_ST2000DX&Prod_002-2DV164\4&20155ac6&0&030000
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC000000F120
Present: false

==> The identical Samsung 860 Pro used as the C: Boot drive and which Acronis successfully backs up at the drive level shows

Device Migrated
Device configured (disk.inf)
Device Started (disk)

with "Information" panel:

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_Samsun_&Prod_SSD_860_PRO_512G\4&20155ac6&0&010000 was migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\Disk&Ven_Samsun_&Prod_SSD_860_PRO_512G\4&20155ac6&0&010000
Class Guid: {4d36e967-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0x0
Present: true

==> Device Manager shows the driver stack is the same for the V: 960 Pro that has the issue and the C: 960 Pro that does not (Note that Win10 has itself updated off of the original Intel drivers which were originally labeled as being for Win7 anyway):

C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\disk.sys
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\EhStorClass.sys
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\fltsrv.sys
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\partmgr.sys

==> Disk 0 is the 4TB WD and Disk Mgmt shows its one D: partition as "Healthy (Basic Data Partition)"
Disk 1 is the Samsung boot drive and Disk Management shows the typical "System Reserved" partition marked "Healthy {System, Active, Primary Partition)" plus the main C: partition marked "Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition", and a third marked 600MB "Healthy (Recovery Partition").
Disk 2 is the new Samsung data drive and Disk Management shows the one V: data partition as "Healthy (Primary Partition)"

==> The Motherboard's BIOS shows the Boot order is the Samsung main boot drive 1 first and a DVD drive 2nd.

==> Prior to posting this I've tried without success:
1.) Replacing the original OCZ SSD as my first V: Drive with the Samsung hoping to eliminate the drive model/firmware as the issue. They have the identical issue.
2.) Checking for newer SATA/PCIe drivers. I could find none for this older Asus Motherboard with the Intel 8-series/C220 Series chipset
3.) Moving the boot drive to a different SATA port and then later moving the V: problem SSD to a different SATA port
4.) Making sure there is no extra System Reserved or other partition flagged as "Active"
5.) Verifying the boot order in the BIOS points to the desired boot SSD.
6.) Running SFC /Scannow
7.) Checking Windows Update
8.) Trying "Update Driver" on Device Manager for the Intel "System Devices" relating to the SATA / Chipset devices
9.) Uninstalling the V: drive from Device Manager and letting Win10 pick it back up again after reboot
10.) Checking for newer Asus BIOS updates (there are none)
11.) I've been on the same (last available) Chipset/drivers for years. There's nothing recent to roll back to.
12.) Fully reloading the main boot drive to a backup from 6-weeks ago to try to get before the most recent Win10 updates.
13.) Running Win10's hardware and Devices Troubleshooter (no problems detected)

I'm out of ideas and could use some suggestions as to what to try next. I'm hoping this issue doesn't indicate I've picked up malware / ransomeware from somewhere.

Thanks!
-Bob

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom