Windows 10 PRO Remote Desktop Redirect of one printer fails

B

brucehvn2

I have a setup where I have Windows 10 PRO as a RDP host. I'm using another computer with Windows 10 PRO as the RDP client. Both machines are running version 20H2. When connecting via RDP, I have checked the box to share printer resources.

When I connect to the server, and I bring up Notepad and then choose print, I see my redirected PDF printers, etc., but not my Samsung M2020 network printer. Looking at the error log, I see error 1111 which says it could not find a suitable driver for my Samsung.

It appears the Easy Printer Driver is not able to work for this Samsung printer.

The issue is that previously, we were using Windows Server 2008 R2 as our RDP host. That one had no problem with this printer. In fact, that server is still active, so I verified that it is working fine. No drivers were ever installed on the server for any printers anyone uses remotely.

I don't want to have to install printer drivers for all the different printers the remote users are using. One of the other clients uses some HP printer and has the same problem, but his printer also worked with the 2008 R2 server easy print driver.

Here's some additional info.

• The latest driver from Samsung is installed on the local machine.
  • The Group Policy for trying the easy print driver first has not been configured (the default). But I have tried setting this to "Enabled" just to be sure, but that did not work either after logging off, logging back in.
  • When I bring up the old "Devices and Printers" window and check the "Print Server Properties", the easy print driver shows it is installed.
  • The TS port for the Samsung printer is there, but it has no name under the "Printer" column. It's the only one without a name so I assume that's the Samsung. In my description of manually setting up the printer on the server below, it verified that's the port.

Even if I install the latest Samsung printer driver on the server, it doesn't pick it up automatically when I login. In the printer list, I see the Samsung Universal Driver, but it is attached to the "FILE:" port, not the TS port. Manually assigning it to the TS port, doesn't work either.

And I'm still getting the error 1111, "Driver Samsung M2020 Series Class Driver required for printer Samsung M2020 is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again."

I disabled the group policy that tries to use the easy print driver first, but still the same.

The only way I can get it to work for the current session, is to manually create a printer (on the server) and use the Samsung driver, and assign it to the TS port. That works, but as soon as I log off, then connect again, that port has changed to "Inactive TS port" and the no name TS port has moved to another number.

This is really frustrating, and I can't figure out why the easy print driver is not working like it did on 2008 R2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom