Failing to update - restarts into safe mode.

1DJM

Hello all,

I have recently realized that for some time, my PC has not been installing Windows 10 updates. In fact it seems for well over a year and that I was unaware as I'd be downloading, installing and restarting but evidently something has gone wrong along the way. My current version is getting rather old to the point I receive this:

"You’re currently running a version of Windows that’s nearing the end of service. We recommend you update to the most recent version of Windows 10 to get the latest features and security improvements. I'm currently in version 1809

The latest update is 20H2, so I check for updates and it gets downloading and then installing and then it requires an restart. Which seems fine to me. Only when I do that, my PC boots into safe mode, giving me the option to turn off the PC or troubleshoot, neither of which are very helpful. I can reboot normally via the BIOS settings, or I turn off the PC and turn it back on again.

However this basically means the update never completes and my PC has forgotten anything I've done, so I'd start the process again and then I'm stuck in a never-ending loop where updates haven't been done for a year.

I have tried everything in this thread (short of a clean restart, which is the last resort) to no avail. It's driving me crazy as I'm going round in circles and can't seem to get past the final part. My computer boots absolutely fine if I'm turning it on for the first time of the day and I'm experiencing no other issues. I'm getting 0xC1900101 most often and I did resolve one driver problem. I've installed without AVG on to no effect.

Continue reading...