Cannot Access \\Computer\\Shared Network Folders after Windows Update.

O

ozegirl

System is two Windows 10 computers on a network which also has a NAS drive, a printer and other computers, some of which aren’t always connected.

Since I did the KB 4023057 update yesterday, the network is not working properly. Let’s call the two Win 10 computers A & B. In Network, A can see A & B (and everything else). However clicking on B brings up the error along the lines of “Windows Cannot access computer B. Please see administrator for access permissions”. Now this would normally happen if nothing was properly shared. However it was all properly shared previously. The same thing happens looking at A from B. Incidentally the other computer got the same update some months ago. Very strange.

However, I did fortunately have one of the networked share folders on B put on computer A’s Quick Access as a shortcut. And surprisingly, I can access that folder and open it from there. I can also access the printer and NAS drive and the older computers all OK.

In researching, I found that Microsoft have discontinued Homegroup and so I wondered if this is why it is not working….though it would seem strange to just remove a networking capability without replacing it with something else. I previously had it set up as a WorkGroup Network…just went to Network settings and ticked all the boxes required to share folders…and yes the shared folders had Everyone with Full Control…it all worked fine before. Now it is called a Private network. I also found online the following services were vital in running a Network: Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, Network Connections, UPnP Device Host, Peer Name Resolution Protocol, Peer Networking Grouping, and Peer Networking Identifying Manager. All these services were either running or I was able to start them…except for Peer Name Resolution Protocol and Peer Network Grouping. These would not start and came up with the error “ Windows could not start the Peer Name Resolution Protocol on Local Computer. Unable to start service Error 0x80630203. Unable to access key.”

Researching this further, I found that these were vital to make the network operate, and there was a post with the same problem and a solution to add a key to those services in a particular place to make it all work. I didn’t try that solution because the answering response was from several years ago and I didn’t like to tinker with something not knowing if it was still relevant and not knowing enough about it.

I also tried sharing another new folder thinking that might prompt it all into action, however again, the main computer could be seen but it wouldn’t open to show the shared folders. When I removed that folder, it came up with an error...something about not being able to change file attribute and an enumerated key missing. I had tried changing the folder from Everyone with Full control to Read & write only, then back to Full control also… and I was able to do all this despite the error message. I have also tried restarting computers a number of times and restarting the router and switch between the computers.

I could try uninstalling the update, but I am loathe to do that in case it messes things up worse, and besides it will only download again.

I see there is a whole new Windows Version available, Version 20H2. I wonder whether it has been specifically designed to replace the networking from before….but I am also loathe to update to this until I know more about it and if it is likely to fix the problem and not make it worse.

So I am after some advice on how to go about this, hoping someone may have already had the same problem and found the solution. I did see another post on this topic where the person was advised to make sure that SMB 1.0 was enabled ….I looked into this and found it was not, so I enabled that but sadly this did not fix the problem either, even after a restart.

I have found that in Windows Explorer I can reach the shared folders by going \\Computer Name\SharedFolder Name ... so I am close, but it would be good to just be able to click the computer name under Network, particularly as if I wish to pin any other shared folders to my quick access menu it will be necessary.

I tried ringing Microsoft but every time the call gets cut off after a few minutes….

Thanks in advance

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom