Disk 0 Active time permanently at 100% even with no apps open.

J

jc50027572

Hello!

I've been experiencing intermittent performance issues over the past few days; my laptop takes forever to power on/shutdown, and all apps (even the mouse cursor) experienced growing periods of constant slowdown/crashes/freeze-ups. The issue seems to have slowly gotten worse and now my laptop is virtually unusable due to the excessive slowdown (I'm having to post this using another device).

My Specs:

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming laptop 64-bit OS
Intel Core i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
8.00GB installed RAM
Windows 10 Home edition, version 1909, OS build 18363.1256

I noticed that under the Performance tab of the Task Manager, Disk 0's Active time is permanently at 100% (under the processes tab Disk percentage appears to look normal however) This is the case even when I have zero apps open.

575f83dd-0ee4-4c02-a7f3-c3fae54edafd?upload=true.jpg

I have not been able to find any working solutions researching online - posting here because it appears each solution is somewhat catered to that specific user/computer. Here is a rough list of all corrective methods I've tried:

• Ensuring I have the latest Windows Update installed.
  • Running a full AV scan with Malwarebytes.
  • Defragged my drive using CCleaner and manually deleting excess files/uninstalling no-longer-used programs.
  • Using System Restore to revert to an earlier date.
  • Disabled Windows Search (SuperFetch doesn't appear under Services).
  • Updated/rolled back certain drivers.
  • Removed external peripheral devices.
  • Disabled unnecessary start-up apps.
  • Utilized the sfc /scannow command.
  • Tried doing the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers fix, but it doesn't appear in Device Manager.
  • Using the built-in Windows memory test.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I've not been able to associate the issue with any recent changes I made to my device. Also my laptop is only ~2 years old so it shouldn't already be experiencing hardware failure.

Thank you!

Continue reading...