Installed windows to and booted to a new drive and lost access to everything, except the files are still there. Help?

D

Drift12345

So this is a bit of a situation I've got myself into, and I've scoured the internet and can't seem to find any help.

So I had my windows installed onto an SSD (along with some games) and most of my files on a hard drive, and I also had an unused SSD as well that was empty.

Today I did a windows update where halfway through it stopped and the computer restarted and went into some sort of repair/troubleshooting state. I tried every option including uninstalling windows updates and trying to reset my pc (to reinstall windows) to no avail. I looked up some of the popular solutions around this and none of them worked. So I was stuck, my windows wouldn't work and there was no way forward.

So I got windows 10 onto a USB and used that, but I quickly ran into another problem: when it asked me to select a disk/partition to install windows onto, none of them worked. After researching, it seems my only option was to reformat a drive into the correct option, but obviously I didn't want to do that and lose all of the stuff on my drives because I had no backup or system restore point.

So I followed the instructions but on my unused SSD and installed windows onto there.

So now here I am and it's basically as if I factory reset my PC. The thing is though, my other hard drive and SSD are still there with all my files intact, including my old user and even the (presumably corrupted) windows files, but I can seemingly only boot now through my unused SSD. I used to log in with a password but now I log in with some microsoft pin, and I have no quick access to all my old files and programs. Plus, my other SSD is faster which is why Windows was on it in the first place.

So how do I get my old windows back? If I try and use the reset my pc option, it only reinstalls windows on this current SSD, not my other one. I've googled how to reinstall windows on another drive but the only options I can find entail an empty or new drive. I just want to go back to booting from my other SSD and having access to my files again.

I believe I'm using just the basic windows 10. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom