My PCs won't allow access to each other across my network

1easygeezer

I’m having real problems with my home network which has been in use for the last 20+ years with few problems but since October last year the PCs refuse to allow access to each other and nothing I’ve tried has remedied the problem, access to the internet is unaffected. I am of course set up as the administrator for both PCs.

I have a main PC running Win10 pro, a laptop running Win10 home, and a NAS system, all of which are on a cat 6 ethernet network. The router has both 2&5 GHz wireless bands named xxxxxxxxxxx2 & xxxxxxxxxxx5. Both PCs can access the NAS with no problem, however the laptop can see the PC but cannot access any of the drives / partitions all of which are set up for sharing within their individual properties. likewise, the PC can see the laptop but again can’t access any of its partitions despite them being set up for sharing within their individual properties.

With WI-FI disabled the laptop connects to the private Ethernet network ”xxxxxxxxxxx2” with the sharing options for the private network set to file and printer sharing ON. However, the PC connects to the private Ethernet network “Network 2” ?? with the sharing options for the private network also set to file and printer ON. When trying to access folders/files in either direction I can only access the drive, when selecting the folder / file I require the pointer just reverts to the parent drive, checking the properties of a particular folder I noted it wasn’t showing as shared so to experiment I changed it to shared, this now shows as a separate entity but when selecting it, it states I’m not authorised.

I’ve tried different numerous things including reluctantly trying the different permutations of the above with both AV & Firewall turned off as well as changing network discovery OFF in different combinations, all to no avail. So, after many months of trying to resolve the problem I’ve now given up as the problem is either so simple, I’ve just overlooked it or it’s something I’m obviously out of my depth with.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom