Start menu apps not getting entered in the Start menu folder and not getting indexed

V

Vaylon Fernandes

For months I have had this issue where any new app/software I installed on my laptop would not appear in the search from the start menu. After looking at the indexing menu, I noticed that the start menu folder in that was not showing any of the recently installed apps. After months of searching, I found that windows creates the start menu folder in two different locations C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs [1] and C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs [2]. Now here is where the issue happens. All apps installed somewhere before September 2020, have an entry in both the folders. Whereas, after that, all apps have an entry only in [2]. [1] is the folder that is being indexed and [2] is not. As a result of this, any newly installed software does not appear in the start menu search and I have to manually scroll to that app create a shortcut tile or group. Another workaround I found was to create shortcuts for the apps and place them in the windows directory so that they can be executed using the 'Run' command. Both of these are not very convenient to do for every new app.

I want to know how to fix this. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom