Windows 10 Poor-Quality Display on HD Monitors

I

InfoComPro

Windows 10 looks bad on my 1920 x 1080 monitors. And I'm not talking about apps – I'm talking about Windows 10 itself. For example, the icons in the taskbar have visibly jagged edges, and OS windows and dialog boxes have text that is jagged/fuzzy/pixelated.

I've been using Windows 10 for several years now, and have always had this problem. In the past, I've fixed it with a little bit of freeware called Windows10_DPI_FIX.exe, which worked beautifully, and was the ONLY thing that worked. Unfortunately, I can no longer seem to find a version of the freeware that isn't infected with a virus.

(This doesn't seem to bother most users, but I'm an information developer who spends hours and hours each day looking at content, specifically to find and fix things that are wrong, and this makes everything wrong.)

I know that my monitors can display beautifully, because they have before, but since the update to Windows 20H2, I just can't get it to work.

I do not want to scale things – the size of text, icons, etc., is perfect. I just want things to look smooth and crisp as before.

Does anyone know of any way to actually fix this? (Besides switching to a Mac :p)

Note that adjusting these things does not help:
  • Clear Type
  • Graphics Drivers
  • Monitor Drivers
  • USB Drivers
  • Cables and connections
  • Resolution
  • Size (Scale)
  • Windows Updates
  • Let Windows Try to Fix Apps (Not an apps problem)
  • Refresh Rate
  • System Properties > Advanced System Settings > Performance Options > Visual Effects
  • Reinstalling, Restoring, or Repairing operating system
  • Registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop > Win8DpiScaling, LogPixels)

System Information

Asus Zenbook Q536FD
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2, Build 19042.746, Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
Installed on ‎1/‎24/‎2021

External Monitors: Dell S2740L

Display Adapters
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with Max-Q Design
Targus USB3 DViK-2K Compact Dock

Continue reading...

Back
Top Bottom